An “away” placement is when you undertake a clinical placement that is part of your Phase 2 (Years 3 and 4) courses in a place that is “away” from a UQ clinical teaching unit. You are able to undertake up to three away placements during Phase 2, subject to approval by the Course Coordinator. Please note, the Ochsner Clinical School is a UQ site and therefore undertaking a clinical placement at Ochsner is not considered to be an away placement.  Likewise, the Elective is not defined as a clinical placement, and is therefore not included in the permissible number of away placements.

Every institution has specific criterion that students must meet before undertaking a medical placement. Students must ensure that they can comply with all requirements before applying, as significant costs could occur. The Faculty of Medicine can assist in certain aspects of host institution requirements, but the responsibility remains with the student. 

Approved Disciplines for non-UQ Locations 

  • Year 3 - Rural and Remote Medicine (international students) and Medicine in Society (international students, at Tan Tock Seng Hospital Singapore and Queen's University Canada only)
  • Year 4 - Emergency/Orthopaedics (pre-approved at Queen's University Canada only), Medical Specialties, and PLC Elective 

Important Note for Students on Placement Selection

  • Students are advised NOT to make any travel arrangements until the final approval has been granted.
  • Students are responsible for contacting any proposed teaching institution and for seeking agreement that a teaching program will be available consistent with the published Learning Objectives and Goals.
  • Students are required to establish that supervision will be provided.
  • UQ students are covered for Travel insurance while undertaking placements at non-UQ locations. Further information can be found here.
  • The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) groups countries by perceived risk, and travel to DFAT category 4 countries (do not travel) will generally not be allowed. Travel to DFAT 3 countries (reconsider your need to travel) will require formal approval, which can take several weeks to obtain, so please consider this in your planning. Generally, the university is more likely to permit travel to DFAT 3 countries where you have family to stay with, you know the language and customs, etc.