Alton Ochsner Society Head
Alton Ochsner Medical Society Head:
Leonardo Seoane, MD, FACP
Ochsner Head of School
Staff Physician Pulmonary/Critical Care
Dr. Leonardo Seoane was born in Camaguey, Cuba and grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana where he earned his undergraduate degree from Loyola University in New Orleans. He attended medical school at Louisiana State University in New Orleans where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed an internship in Internal Medicine at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, and completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Louisiana State University Health Science Center in New Orleans. Dr. Seoane went on to complete a fellowship in Pulmonary/Critical Care and Lung Transplant at the Louisiana State University and Ochsner Medical Center.
He has been a pulmonary/critical care/lung transplant physician at Ochsner Medical Center since 2002. He served as the Associate Program Director for Internal Medicine Residency Program from 2003-2012 and Medical Director of Lung Transplant Program from 2008-2012. He became Associate Professor with The University of Queensland, School of Medicine in 2009, served as the Deputy Head of School for Curriculum, Clerkship Director for the Critical Care course, Clerkship Director of the Internal Medicine course, and Clerkship Director for Medical Specialties for The University of Queensland, Ochsner Clinical School. In addition, he developed the disadvantaged youth rotation and the international Haiti rotation as a component of the Medicine in Society course. His passion for academic medicine and the advancement of medical discovery secured his rapid promotion to Senior Deputy Head of School in 2013 and to the Head of School Position in 2016.
Credentials & Qualifications
Dr. Seoane is board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Palliative Care. He is a fellow of the American College of Physicians and a member American Thoracic Society and Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Awards and Honors
- Medical Center of Louisiana LSU Medicine Resident of the Year Nominee 1998
- Louisiana State University School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine Teaching Excellence Award 2000
- Ochsner Clinic Foundation Community of Caring 2002
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2004
- Ochsner Clinic Foundation Community of Caring 2005
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2005
- Alton Ochsner Spirit of Leadership Teaching Award, 2006
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2006
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2007
- Louisiana’s Top Doctors, Best Doctors inc., 2007-2016
- Alton Ochsner Spirit of Leadership Teaching Award, Finalist 2008
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2009
- HealthGrades and Ochsner Quality Improvement Project of the Year: Improving Outcomes for Patients with Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock 2010
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2011
- Hurst B. Hatch Award, Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 2013
- Ochsner Health System Academic Contributor of the Year 2016
Management of sepsis; Antibiotic dosing in critically ill patients in partnership with the University of Queensland Burns, Trauma, and Critical Care Research Center; Medical education.
Best Part of My Job
Helping young physicians develop into competent medical professionals who will care for our families and friends.
Interests Outside Work
Spending time with his family at their lake house and watching his boys play baseball and tennis at their high school. He is also a U2 fan who enjoys traveling to see them in concert.
To schedule a meeting with the Ochsner Society Head, Leonardo Seoane, MD, please contact Ms. Rosa Perkins:
For all other enquiries regarding the Medical Societies at Ochsner, please contact the Ochsner Clinical School Office of Student Affairs:
Phone: +1 504 842 0197